Spiritual Songs of the Great Fast
The singing of hymns of the suffering of the Savior often accompanied both the liturgical services of the Great Fast, and also the paraliturgical services such as the Moleben to the Holy Cross. The sufferings of our Lord's Mother are also a frequent subject.
It is true that a pre-occupation with Christ's sufferings is more characteristic of Latin than Byzantine piety, and that most of these hymns are more properly appropriate to Great and Holy Week than to the Great Fast itself. But it is also true that, if understood correctly, an awareness of our Lord's love for us as shown by his long-suffering endurance can lead us to a repentance which is very much in keeping with the forty days of the Fast.
Eighteen of these songs appeared in English and Slavonic in Monsignor William Levkulic's Hymns for Great Lent.
- Ach, pora prichodit'
- Čas vže, čeloviče
- Čertoh Tvoj - I see your bridal chamber
- Chrest na pleči nakladajut'
- Christe Carju spravedlivyj - Christ our King who reigns with justice
- Christos rozpjatyj
- Čoloviče dobryj
- Hl'an duše hrišna - O soul so sinful
- Idu nyňi ko krestu - Now do I go to the cross
- Jak hl'anu v žizň moju
- Jehda na smert' hotovilsja - In Gethsemene's darkness
- Krestu Tvojemu - At the most holy Cross
- L'udi moji, l'udi - O my people, my people
- Muk zbližajesj vže hodina
- Ne opuskaj nas - Do not forsake us
- Nebo, zeml'a, sotvoriňňa - Earth and heaven mourn
- O Bože moj milostivyj - O my God, you are so merciful
- O D'ivice Prečistaja
- O Isuse najsvjat'ijšij
- O Isuse poranenyj - O my Jesus, suffering
- Pered mnoju sjaje
- Pisňa pervochristijanskich Mučenikov
- Pod krest Tvoj staju - Beneath your Cross I stand
- Pod tvoju milost' - Beneath your compassion
- Poklaňajusja, moj Christe - We venerate, O Christ
- Prečiste T'ilo Tvoje
- Preterp'ivyj - Having suffered
- Prijde hodina
- Prijd’ite, voschvalim - Come now, all you faithful
- Stala Mati zarmuščenna - So boundless is her sorrow
- Stradal'na Mati - The grieving Mother
- Uže dekret podpisujet - The sentence is passed